What are Infographics?
Infographics are a visually compelling communication medium. When done well they can communicate complex data in a visual format that is easy to understand. They are ideal for making sense of the tonnes of data that are now part of our digital world.
In short, they are an efficient way of combining the best of text, images and design to tell a story in a format that is much easier to share.
But why should you use infographics?
Jeff Bulla suggests that there are many reasons it makes sense to use infographics. Here are just a few:
1. They look good!
2. They can be easily scanned and viewed
3. They have a tendency to ‘go viral’
4. You can embed them
6. They help you create brand awareness
And Fast Company had Hypertakt’S Josh Smith give them his tips on how to transform data into an infographic.
- Gather your Data – Sifting through data until you have all you need to create your infographic.
- Read all the data before you begin – there’s nothing worse that having someone shoot holes in your infographic because you didn’t have all the facts!
- Know your reason why the infographic needs to be created – What starts as boring data will become a boring infographic unless a great story can be found.
- Create a hierarchy – there is always one piece of data that speaks to your audience. Once you find it organize the structure of the infographic around it.
We hope the above information has been helpful. If you want to have a go creating an infographic, there are some great tools and platforms emerging that make creating them easier such as Statsilk.com and Visual.ly
Have fun! Let us know how your designs turn out by leaving a comment below.